Phone: (07) 4214 8111 | Fax: (07) 4069 4323
Campus enrolment: 56 Students
Year Levels: Kindy to Year 6
Cluster: Near Western Islands
Island: Moa Island
St Paul’s Community is located on the northern end of Moa Island. Moa Island is the second largest island in the Torres Strait. Similar to surrounding islands, Moa is characterised by mounds of rock and is lightly vegetated and well-watered. St Paul’s is accessible by boat or airstrip - 20 minutes drive away in Kubin Community.
The traditional language spoken on Moa is Kulkalgal Ya (KLY).
After the forced repatriation of Pacific Islander labourers, following the federal government’s introduction of a restrictive immigration policy in 1904, the Queensland Government set aside a reserve Moa Islands’ eastern shore for those who managed to remain in Queensland, many of whom had married Torres Strait Islanders and Aboriginal people. In 1908, the Anglican Church began developing St Paul's Mission. They also established the St Paul's Native Training College. A community council was established under the Torres Strait Islander Act 1939, and in 1985 the St Pauls Community gained ownership of their land through a Deed of Grant in Trust.
*Source: 2016 Census